What Is The Cause Of Itchy Skin For Dogs
Posted on October 14th, 2018
Often dog owners witness the dog irritatingly scratching or biting their tail or paw. This is one of the usual problems seen among dogs that have itchy skin issues. These itchy problems make dogs feel uncomfortable and irritated. It is said that this compulsive scratching, licking and chewing habit is due various reason. They develop a red, wet and irritated area that leads them to bite, licking and scratching the area. If the owner does not give considerable attention to their dog suffering from such symptoms can lead to the city get sore quickly. It is, therefore, necessary for them to give attention to the reason why such problems occur.
The Factors That Lead To Itchy Skin
The common areas which tend to have such itching problems are the chest, head or hips. The reason for the cause can be for boredom, allergies or could also be for parasite incursion. Here are the following significant reasons why this skin problem may arise in a dog.
- Anxiety Among Dogs- the problem of stress is not only with humans but is also common among animals. They too at times develop issues similar to humanobsessive-compulsive disorder. If they are upset, they tend to scratch their tail or lick their paws.
- Allergies-the dogs can even develop itchiness due to an allergy. The allergy could be due to food or change in the climatic conditions. This kind of skin irritation is often termed as contact dermatitis. This occurs when they are in contact of any soap or pesticide.
- Dry Skin-when there is a dry skin problem among dogs it is due to the winter weather at times and also due to lack of fatty acid.
- Pain- When dogs have physical pain or are uncomfortable they start licking and scratching the area in which they are having pain. It is said that these symptoms can also be an indication of orthopaedic problems which include arthritis and hip dysplasia.
- Parasite Incursion- the most common cause for the itching problem is parasite incursion caused by fleas, ticks and mites. Parasites like fleas and mites are not much visible. However, ticks can easily be noticed. Therefore it is better not to assume that the dog is free from the parasite and thus keep a check on them.
To avoid such problems, the owner must go for dog vitamins for itchy skin. The vitamins can prevent and reduce the itchiness suffered by the dog.
It is, therefore, crucial to contact the veterinarian whenever an owner witnesses such symptoms amongst dogs. The vet can help out in eradicating the issue and help the dog to stay in the best of their health. Their valuable knowledge is helpful in figuring out the cause, and accordingly, they prescribe medicine.